- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Leighton is a civil parish now located in west Cambridgeshire. Until 1965 Leighton was located in the County of Huntingdonshire. After mergers in 1965 and 1974 the county became part of Cambridgeshire.
In 2001 the parish had a population of 224. It covers an area of 3,128 acres (1,266 ha).
The civil parish contains the small village of Leighton Bromswold (also known as Leighton) which is around 10 miles (16 km) west of Huntingdon and 7 miles (11 km) north of Kimbolton.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Leighton Bromswold. There is an extremely long description of the Church of St Mary in Leighton Bromswold.
- Original historical documents relating to Huntingdonshire are held by Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies at the County Record Office in Huntingdon.
- A History of the County of Huntingdon in 3 volumes from British History Online (Victoria County Histories), published 1911. This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called hundreds, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on Huntingdonshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. These give references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions.
- Map of Huntingdonshire divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of Huntingdonshire divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time