Place:Le Puy-Sainte-Réparade, Bouches-du-Rhône, France

Watchers


NameLe Puy-Sainte-Réparade
Alt namesLe Puy-Ste-Réparadesource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeCommune
Located inBouches-du-Rhône, France
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Le Puy-Sainte-Réparade or Le Puy is a commune in the Bouches-du-Rhône department in southern France.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Carved stones show that Le Puy was settled in prehistoric times. The Celto Ligures Salluviens left traces during the Iron Age and there was subsequent settlement by the Romans.

In the 11th century, the Archbishops of Aix who were lords of Puy built a fortified château and acquired neighbouring lands.

In 1155, Pons de Lubières bought his Puy estates from Hugues d'Eguilles.

In 1212, Gui de Fos bequeathed goods to the Archbishop and chapter .

In 1268, the chapter of Aix gave the church of Puy to the Archbishop Vicedominis.

Around 1510, Le Puy suffered the Plague.

The fortress of La Quiho has been taken several times, first by Raymond de Turenne in 1391. Then in 1578, during the wars of religion, it was besieged for nearly three months, and was captured on the 7th of January 1579 by the lieutenants of the Count of Carcès, Gaspard de Pontevès, chief seneschal of Provence. It was taken again in 1591 by the Duke of Savoy and was eventually destroyed in 1612 by order of the Parliament of Provence.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Le Puy-Sainte-Réparade. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.