Langtoft is a village and civil parish in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire. It lies on the A15 road, about 10 miles (16 km) north from Peterborough and about 8 miles (13 km) east from Stamford, and on the edge of The Fens. It has a 21st century population of about 4,000. This compares with an average of 640 for the period 1841-1891.
The Anglican church is dedicated to Saint Michael. (It may be St. Michael and All Angels.) The oldest portions of the church appear to be from the 13th century. The church was restored in 1859. Anglican parish registers exist from 1668, but Bishop's Transcript entries go back to 1561. There was a Congregational chapel built here in 1874.
Additional details from GENUKI where there is further information.
Neither Wikipedia nor GENUKI give any information as to the striking increase in population during the 20th century. However, it is within daily commuting range of Peterborough.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.