La Fargeville is a hamlet (and census-designated place) in the town of Orleans in Jefferson County, New York, United States. The population was 608 at the 2010 census. The hamlet is named after John Frederick La Farge, one of the early proprietors of the town.The hamlet of La Fargeville was once a village, but dissolved its municipal corporation in 1922.
La Fargeville is north of Watertown. The small hamlet has one school, LaFargeville Central School, which serves grades K through 12.
The hamlet was previously called "Log Mills" when it was first settled around 1816 due to the construction of a saw mill for logs. John Frederick La Farge, a French immigrant who had Americanized his name from Jean Frédéric de la Farge, arrived in 1826. Already wealthy from an import business he had set up in New Orleans, he began in the 1820s to buy real estate and build houses in Jefferson County, speculation that eventually led to La Fargeville being named after him. His son John La Farge became a well-known artist.
By 1850, the population was about 300.