Place:La Charité-sur-Loire, Nièvre, France

Watchers


NameLa Charité-sur-Loire
Alt namesCharité-sur-Loiresource: Getty Vocabulary Program
La Charitésource: Columbia Lippincott Gazetteer (1961)
La Charité-sur-Loiresource: Michel: Dictionnaire des Communes (1992); USBGN: Foreign Gazetteers
TypeCommune
Coordinates47.183°N 3.017°E
Located inNièvre, France
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

La Charité-sur-Loire is a commune in the Nièvre department in central France in the south of Paris.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The town began as the first of the Cluniac priories on an island site in the Loire.

A great fire ravaged the town in 1559. In the French Wars of Religion, it was one of the fortified towns granted as Huguenot safe havens by the Peace of Saint-Germain (August 1570). In the Second War the fortified town withstood eight months of siege by Catholic forces.

By the time of the French Revolution only a dozen monks remained in the priory, which was sold to private individuals and preserved. An improved highway that was to be driven through the church was deflected by the report of Prosper Merimée, the first inspector of monuments (and author of Carmen) who classed it as worth saving in 1840.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at La Charité-sur-Loire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.