Place:King's Stanley, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers


NameKing's Stanley
Alt namesKing's Stanleysource: WeRelate abbreviation
Kings Stanleysource: Domesday Book (1985) p 113
Kings-Stanleysource: Family History Library Catalog
Kingstanleysource: Family History Library Catalog
Stantonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 113
TypeVillage
Coordinates51.733°N 2.267°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

King's Stanley is a village in Gloucestershire, England, situated southwest of the town of Stroud. The village is part of what is known locally as 'The Stanleys', along with its neighbours Leonard Stanley and Stanley Downton. Marling Close, which contains the local playing fields on which the cricket and football teams play, was donated to the village by local magnates The Marlings who also helped found Marling School, and is now in the care of the Marling Trust. The village is overlooked by Selsley common. The village is home to the oldest Baptist Church in Gloucestershire that started meeting in 1640. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it is recorded as held by Turstin FitzRolf.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at King's Stanley. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.