Ivybridge is a small town and civil parish in the South Hams, in Devon, England. It lies about east of Plymouth. It is at the southern extremity of Dartmoor, a National Park of England and Wales and lies along the A38 "Devon Expressway" road. There are three electoral wards in Ivybridge(Central,Filham & Woodlands) with a total population of 11,851.
Mentioned in documents as early as the 13th century, Ivybridge's early history is marked by its status as an important crossing-point over the River Erme on the Exeter-to-Plymouth route. In the 16th century mills were built using the River Erme's power. The parish of Saint John was formed in 1836. Ivybridge became a civil parish in 1894 and a town in 1977.
The early urbanisation and development of Ivybridge largely coincided with the Industrial Revolution. When the South Devon Railway Company built its train route through Ivybridge in the 19th century a paper mill was constructed alongside it and this led to an increase in housing nearby. The paper mill recently closed, after over 150 years in the town, and the buildings are being converted to homes and shops. Although occasionally referred to as a dormitory town, many people work in the town itself, and agriculture continues to play an economic role for Ivybridge's hinterland. The area surrounding Ivybridge is almost completely farmland.
When heavy industry diminished during the latter half of the 20th century, the population has boomed (400% in 30 years) from 1,574 people in 1921 to 12,056 in 2001.
Ivybridge was originally in Ermington Hundred. The village covered parts of the ancientnparishes of Ermington, Harford, and Ugborough parishes. (Source:Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72). It became a civil parish and urban district in 1894. Its status of urban district ended in 1935 when it became part of Plympton St. Mary Rural District. Ivybridge became part of the South Hams District in 1974.