|Alt names||Ivy-church||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Aloesbridge Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England||further ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Shepway District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ivychurch is a village and civil parish in the Shepway District of Kent, England. The village is located on the Romney Marsh, three miles (4.8 km) north-west of New Romney.
The parish is huge and spreads across the marsh down to the Kent ditch (the boundary between Kent and East Sussex) although its population is only some 170, 50% of whom live in the village. The shape of the parish is rather unusual as it follows the parcels of land to the southwest which were progressively 'inned' (drained) from the 12th century onwards.
Due to its size and space, the parish church, St. George's, is known as 'the Cathedral of Romney Marsh' and is mainly a 14th-century building with a seven bay arcade built in the late Decorated style of English architecture. The body of the church dates from around 1360 with the Perpendicular-style tower and west end being added about 100 years later.
Ivychurch was originally an ancient parish in Aloesbridge Hundred, the St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred and also in the Romney Marsh Liberty. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the Romney Marsh Rural District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Ivychurch, Kent, England | Aloesbridge Hundred, Kent, England | St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England | Shepway District, Kent, England