Howden is a small market town and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It lies north of the M62, on the A614 road about north of Goole and south-east of York. William the Conqueror gave the town to the Bishops of Durham in 1080. The wapentake of Howdenshire was named after the town, the Bishops of Durham also owning the wapentake.
Distances from Goole and York are 3 miles (4.8 km) north and 17 miles (27 km) respectively.