Place:Houghton St. Giles, Norfolk, England

NameHoughton St. Giles
Alt namesHohttunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 191
Houghton Saint Gilessource: Getty Vocabulary Program
Houghton St Gilessource: Domesday Book (1985) p 191; Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 376
Houghton-in-the-Holesource: Family History Library Catalog
Houghton-le-Dalesource: Family History Library Catalog
Houghton-next-Walsinghamsource: Family History Library Catalog
Houghton-Saint-Gilessource: long hyphened form
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.869°N 0.864°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoNorth Greenhoe Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Erpingham Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
Barsham, Norfolk, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1935
North Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: Not to be confused with Houghton or Houghton-on-the-Hill.

Houghton St. Giles was one of four parishes absorbed into the newly created parish of Barsham in Norfolk, England in 1935. For more information see Barsham and also the description from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 provided in A Vision of Britain through Time.

The mediaeval pilgrimage centre of Walsingham lies only 1¼ miles north of Houghton St Giles, and the Roman Catholic National Shrine of Our Lady or Slipper Chapel is actually located within the present civil parish of Barsham.

Research Tips