- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hougham Without is a civil parish between Dover and Folkestone in southeast England. The main settlements are the villages of Church Hougham and West Hougham, collectively known simply as "Hougham". Great Hougham Court Farm is located to the south of the two villages, near the Dover transmitting station. The Channel Tunnel runs underground just south of West Hougham and directly under both Church Hougham and the Farm.
Hougham Without was a civil parish in Dover Rural District from 1894 until 1974 and since 1974 has been part of the Dover non-metropolitan District.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hougham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HOUGHAM, a village, a parish, and a [registration] sub-district, in Dover [registration] district, Kent. The village stands near the Southeastern railway, 1 mile from the coast, and 2½ WSW of Dover. The parish contains also the hamlets of Hougham-Court and West Hougham, and the western outskirts of the town of Dover; and is partly within Dover borough. Post town, Dover. Acres: 3,275; of which 280 are water. Real property, exclusive of the part within Dover borough: £3,700. Population of the whole: in 1851, 2,639; in 1861: 3,372. Houses: 389. The increase of population was caused by building operations of a Freehold Land Society, and by the opening of three new brickfields. Population of the part within Dover borough, in 1861: 2,800. Houses: 285. The Heights barracks, the Citadel Engineers' barracks, the Western Heights hospital, the Drop redoubt, the Married Soldiers' quarters, and the Kent Artillery Militia stores are here; and, at the census of 1861, they aggregately had 1,263 inmates. The property is much subdivided.
- "The chapelry of Christ Church, or of Hougham-in-Dover, is within the parish; was constituted in 1844; and contained 1,803 of the population in 1861. The parochial living is a vicarage, and that of Christ Church is a [perpetual] curacy, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value of the former: £185; of the latter: not reported. Patron of the former: the Archbishop of Canterbury; of the latter: Trustees. The parochial church is early English, and has been partially restored. and enlarged. The church of Christ Church is good.
- "The sub-district contains twelve parishes and an extraparochial tract. Acres: 19,821. Population: 8,242. Houses: 1,301."