- source: Family History Library Catalog
Hope All Saints (or simply Hope) was a civil parish until 1934 when it was absorbed into the civil parish of St. Mary in the Marsh. It is very close to the large village of New Romney. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Shepway District. Originally it was an ancient parish in the Langport Liberty.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hope All Saints from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HOPE-ALL SAINTS, a parish in Romney-Marsh [registration] district, Kent; ¼ mile NW by W of New Romney, and 5½ ENE of Appledore [railway] station. Post town, New Romney, under Folkestone. Acres: 1,464. Real property: £4,112. Population: 59. Houses: 9. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £173. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is in ruins."
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Hope All Saints, Kent, England | Langport Liberty, Kent, England | St. Mary in the Marsh, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England | Shepway District, Kent, England