|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Worcestershire, England (1931 - )|
|See also||Tibaldstone (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Pebworth Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1931|
|Evesham Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1931-1974|
|Wychavon (district), Worcestershire, England||district municipality of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Hinton-on-the-Green was transferred from Gloucestershire to Worcestershire in 1931. While in Gloucestershire it was part of Pebworth Rural District. It was then transferred to the Evesham Rural District in Worcestershire.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hinton-on-the-Green is a village and civil parish now in the Wychavon District of Worcestershire in England. It is situated at the foot of Bredon Hill about two miles south of Evesham.
At a little over three square miles, the parish land is largely agricultural - most of the 101 houses and 254 residents (Source:census of 2001) are grouped in a small area between the church and what used to be the railway station. The River Isbourne valley divides Hinton into the "East Village", near to the church, and the "West Village".
Most of the houses in the East Village date from the 19th century; many of the properties to the West of the Isbourne are much newer. Most of the land, and many of the properties in the East Village, are leased from a charitable trust.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hinton-on-the-Green from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HINTON-ON-THE-GREEN, a village and a parish in the [registration] district of Evesham and county of Gloucester. The village stands on the river Isborne, near the boundary with Worcester, and near the Ashchurch and Evesham railway, 3¼ miles SSW of Evesham; has a station, of the name of Hinton, on the railway; was anciently known as Hynetune; and was once a market town. The parish comprises 2,259 acres. Post town, Evesham. Real property: £1, 720. Population: 192. Houses: 37. The property belonged formerly to Gloucester abbey, and belongs now to John A. B. Cresswell, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £200. Patron: J. A. B. Cresswell. The church is ancient; was restored in 1863; and has a central aisle and a fine tower."
Hinton-on-the-Green was always in Evesham Registration District even when it was located in Gloucestershire before 1931. Since 2006 all the registration districts in Worcestershire have merged into Worcestershire Registration District.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Tibaldstone (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Pebworth Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Worcestershire, England | Evesham Rural, Worcestershire, England | Wychavon (district), Worcestershire, England | Hinton-on-the-Green, Gloucestershire, England | Evesham Registration District, Worcestershire, England | Worcestershire Registration District, Worcestershire, England