Place:Hinton in the Hedges, Northamptonshire, England

NameHinton in the Hedges
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.025°N 1.189°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoBrackley Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
South Northamptonshire District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Hinton in the Hedges is a small village and civil parish in the South Northamptonshire District in Northamptonshire, England, 2 miles (3.2 km) due west of the town of Brackley. West of the village is Hinton-in-the-Hedges Airfield. At the time of the 2001 UK census, the parish's population was 179 people.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hinton in the Hedges from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HINTON-IN-THE-HEDGES, a parish in Brackley [registration] district, Northampton; on the Buckinghamshire railway, 2 miles W by N of Brackley [railway] station. Post town: Brackley. Acres: 2,070. Real property: £2,462. Population: 178. Houses: 39. The manor belongs to W. Cartwright, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Stean, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £500. Patron: Earl Spencer. The church is early English; consists of nave, chancel, and N aisle, with low square tower; and contains a remarkable ancient altar tomb, and a very ancient and curiously carved font. There are alms houses with about £38 a year, and a subscription school. Gray, the author of "Memoria Technica," is said to have been a native."

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Hinton-in-the-Hedges. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.