NOTE: There was also a place named Hinton-on-the-Green in Gloucestershire. It was transferred to Worcestershire in 1935. Yet another place in Gloucestershire is a parish named Dyrham and Hinton which is further south and now in South Gloucestershire.
Hinton is a village and civil parish near Berkeley in Stroud District, Gloucestershire. The parish includes the larger villages of Sharpness and Purton. The ecclesiastical parish is Sharpness with Purton, formerly part of the parish of Berkeley and now united with Slimbridge.
In the 2001 census the civil parish had a population of 1,141.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hinton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: