|Alt names||Ahincham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 190|
|Himcham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 190|
|Hinham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 190|
|Maincham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 190|
|Mincham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 190|
|Type||Town, Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England|
|See also||Forehoe Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Forehoe and Henstead Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1935-1974|
|South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Hingham is a market town and civil parish once in the area of the Forehoe Hundred in the heart of rural Norfolk, in England. The civil parish covers an area of 14.98 km2 (5.78 sq mi) and had a population of 2,078 in 944 households at the 2001 UK census, increasing to 2,367 at the 2011 UK census. Grand architecture surrounds the market place and village green. In the 18th century, when the socialites of high society built houses and took residence in Hingham, it became fashionably known as "Little London".
Hingham is 17 miles (27 km) from Norwich, Norfolk’s county town. While many Hingham people now work in Norwich, commuting by car or bus, the town has maintained a strong base, providing work in a wide range of commercial businesses in its industrial estate on Ironside Way.
The many and varied local shops have the special character of a small market town but are up-to-date in what they provide. Despite the influence and attractions of neighbouring Norwich, an active and independent town life continues to thrive and grow in Hingham.
For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the District of South Norfolk.
The nearest railway stations are Wymondham and Attleborough, both on the Breckland Line.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Hingham. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Hingham, Norfolk, England | Forehoe Hundred, Norfolk, England | Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, England | Forehoe and Henstead Rural, Norfolk, England | South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England