Heckington is a village and civil parish in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated between Sleaford and Swineshead Bridge, and south from the A17 road. Heckington, with 1,491 households and a population of 3,069 in the 2001 UK census, is one of the largest villages in Lincolnshire.
Heckington Grade I listed Anglican parish church is dedicated to St Andrew. It is of cruciform plan and in a complete Decorated style. The original 14th-century church was acquired by :Bardney Abbey in 1345, and subsequently a new chancel was built by vicar Richard de Potesgrave, chaplain to Edward III. Potesgrave's damaged effigy is within the church; other memorials include brasses to John Cawdron (d. 1438), and William Cawdron "baylyf of Hekington" and his two wives. [more on the church in Wikipedia]
In 1885, Kelly's Directory reported the existence of one Baptist and two Wesleyan chapels, and in Heckington Fen a chapel of ease in Early English style and chapels for Primitive and Reformed Methodists.
The village (first mentioned in the 10th century) is best known for its windmill of the same name, the only 8-sailed example of its type still standing in the UK and all Europe. The tower windmill built as a five-sailed mill in 1830 and turned into an eight-sailed mill after serious storm damages in 1890–92 was formerly (and sometimes still today) named Pocklington's Mill after its last owner John Pocklington. In 1986 the windmill underwent restoration.
Another linear settlement of East Heckington lies alongside the A17 road two miles east of Heckington. To the north is Howell, which is part of the ecclesiastical parish. The parish boundary meets Kirkby la Thorpe west of Mead's Farm on the A17. North of there it meets the civil parish of Asgarby and Howell, which includes part of Heckington's religious parish. [Wikipedia has full description of Heckington's bounds.]
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.