|Alt names||Heyl||source: Wikipedia|
|St. Elwyn||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Town, Urban district|
|Located in||Cornwall, England (1888 - )|
|See also||Phillack, Cornwall, England||civil parish of which it was a part until 1888|
|West Penwith Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it became a part 1934-1974|
|Redruth Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1888 (until 1888 under Phillack)|
|Penzance Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part after 1888|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: For 19th century sources, see Phillack.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Hayle ("estuary") is a small town, civil parish and cargo port in west Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. It is situated at the mouth of the Hayle River (which discharges into St Ives Bay) and is approximately seven miles (11 km) northeast of Penzance.
Hayle parish was created in 1888 from part of the now defunct Phillack parish, with which it was later combined in 1935, and incorporated part of St Erth in 1937. The modern parish shares boundaries with St Ives to the west, St Erth to the south, Gwinear and Gwithian in the east, and is bounded to the north by the Celtic Sea.
Nineteenth Century Description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hayle from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HAYLE, or HEYL, a small seaport in St. Erth and Phillack parishes, Cornwall; on the river Hayle, and the Cornwall railway, 4 miles SE of St. Ives. It is a sub-port to St. Ives; and has a head post-office, a railway station with telegraph, and a causeway, across the river, 1,140 feet long. The harbour is below the causeway; has commodious wharfs, and canals with flood-gates; can be entered, at spring tides, by vessels of 200 tons burden; and has two fixed lights, 81 and 59 feet high, put up in 1840. A coasting trade is carried on in the exportation of copper ore and tin, and in the importation of coal, timber, and general merchandise. Steam-vessels ply regularly to Bristol. A railway, for mineral traffic, 17¼ miles long, goes to Redruth. The smelting of copper was formerly done on a large scale; and there are now steam-engine works, and iron and brass-foundries. There is also a chapel of ease to Phillack.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.