|Name||Hamsterley (near Bishop Auckland)|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Auckland St. Andrew, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Auckland Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1937|
|Barnard Castle Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1937-1974|
|Teesdale District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
|NOTE: There are two places named Hamsterley in County Durham. The other is near Consett and has been redirected to its parish of Low Westwood.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hamsterley is a village in County Durham, England. It is situated a few miles west of Bishop Auckland and has a 21st century population of about 550.
The village lies on a rise above the upper reaches of the Wear valley. To the west of the village the land rises to Hamsterley Common at the eastern edge of the fell country which lies between the valleys of the Wear and the Tees. Near to the village is Dryderdale Hall, a magnificent grade II listed mansion built in 1872 by the architect Alfred Waterhouse for the Backhouse family.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Hamsterley was originally a township in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Auckland Rural District. In 1937 it was transferred to Barnard Castle Rural District. The chapelry of Hamsterley was responsible for the townships of South Bedburn and Lynesack and Softley. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
Between 1974 and 2009 Hamsterley became part of the larger Teesdale non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hamsterley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HAMSTERLEY, a village, a township-chapelry, and a [registration] sub-district in Anckland [registration] district, Durham. The village stands on a hill, near the river Bedburn, 2 miles SW of Witton-le-Wear [railway] station, and 6 W by N of Bishop-Anckland; and has a post office under Darlington. The chapelry is in Auckland-St. Andrew parish, and comprises 4,003 acres. Real property: £2,883; of which £310 are in mines. Population: 522. Houses: 117. The property is subdivided. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £96. Patron: H. Chaytor, Esq. The church is ancient and cruciform, with a belfry. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £16."
Categories: Durham, England | Hamsterley (near Bishop Auckland), Durham, England | Auckland St. Andrew, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Auckland Rural, Durham, England | Barnard Castle Rural, Durham, England | Teesdale District, Durham, England