|Alt names||Halden||source: Wikipedia, Family History Library Catalog|
|Tenterden St. Michaels||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Berkeley Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Blackbourne Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Tenterden Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Ashford District, Kent, England||district municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
High Halden is a village and civil parish in the Ashford District of Kent, England. The village is on the A28 road between Ashford and Tenterden, 3 miles (5 km) north of the latter town. The Tenterden suburb of St. Michaels is included. The population of the parish at the UK census of 2011 was 1,584.
The parish church is dedicated to St. Mary. This Grade 1 listed church was built before 1286 (this being the first date for which there is a recorded name of a priest at the church, Richard de Halyngleghe). Although the church has been extended over the years, its most remarkable feature is the timbered tower which was probably constructed in the late 13th Century. It consists of an octagonal ground floor and a square upper story above which rises an 80 foot octagonal shingle-clad spire. The whole structure is braced and strengthened by a system of massive oak pillars, beams and trusses. The 14th Century South porch has an entrance which is a natural arch made of two halves of a colossal oak trunk and inside the church there is a 13th Century font.( There is a photograph in Wikipedia.)
High Halden was originally an ancient parish in the Berkeley Hundred and also in the Blackbourne Hundred. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the Tenterden Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Ashford District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | High Halden, Kent, England | Berkeley Hundred, Kent, England | Blackbourne Hundred, Kent, England | Tenterden Rural, Kent, England | Ashford District, Kent, England