Place:Groton, Suffolk, England

TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.038°N 0.856°E
Located inSuffolk, England
See alsoBabergh Hundred, Suffolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Groton is a village and civil parish in Suffolk, England. Located around a mile north of the A1071 between Hadleigh and Sudbury, it is part of Babergh District.

The parish church, dedicated to Saint Bartholomew, is flint-faced and has some 15th-century features but was heavily restored in the 19th century. In addition to Groton village, the parish contains the hamlets of Broad Street, Castling's Heath, Gosling Green, Horner's Green and Parliament Heath.

The lord of the manor was originally the Abbot of Bury St. Edmunds, but at the Dissolution (1536-1541), was granted to the Winthrops. Groton, Massachusetts, is named after the village, as it was founded by a member of the Winthrop family; John Winthrop was born at Groton Manor in 1587. He became the leader of the Winthrop Fleet, a founder of the city of Boston and one of the first Governors of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The parish church has a Victorian stained glass window in his memory. Groton, Connecticut, was also named after the village to honour of his son John Winthrop the Younger who settled in that area in 1646. On a common called "The Croft" in the village is an old mulberry tree said to have been planted by Adam Winthrop, the grandfather of John the elder.

Research Tips

See Groton, Suffolk, in A Vision of Britain Through Time

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Groton, Suffolk. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.