Extracts pertaining to local and historical information are taken from a Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis published in 1837.
KILLYGLEN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Larne, on the road from that place to Glenarm; containing 524 inhabitants. This parish, which in the Ordnance survey is called a grange belonging to Killegan parish, comprises 2295 1/2 statute acres. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Connor, forming part of the union and corps of the prebend of Connor: the tithes amount to £62. 2. 5 1/2. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Larne. About 30 children are educated in a private school.