Germantown is a town in Columbia County, New York, United States. The population was 1,954 at the 2010 census. Germantown is located in the southwest part of the county, along the east side of the Hudson River.
The first Europeans to buy property in the county were Dutch. Robert Livingston, a Scots immigrant, bought thousands of acres from the native Americans, before gaining a huge grant from the Crown. He owned a total of . He was made lord of the Livingston Manor. In 1710, he sold of his property to Anne, Queen of Great Britain, for use as work camps and resettlement of Palatine German refugees.
Some 1,200 persons were settled at work camps to manufacture naval stores and pay off their passage as indentured labor. The area was later renamed "Germantown". Following the United States' gaining independence in the Revolutionary War, the town was organized in 1788 from a previously organized district.