The ancient parish of Berkhamsted (known originally as Great Berkhamstead) included a medium-sized historic market town on the western edge of Hertfordshire, England and a rural section. In 1870 the area covered by the parish was 4364 acres. On the introduction of rural districts in 1894, Berkhamsted was defined as a civil parish within Berkhamsted Rural District. In 1898 the town was made an Urban District, with the rural area to the north hived off to become Great Berkhamstead Rural Parish.
The new parish included the hamlet of Frithsden (redirected here).