Place:Fowler, St. Lawrence, New York, United States

Watchers


NameFowler
TypeTown
Coordinates44.267°N 75.383°W
Located inSt. Lawrence, New York, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Fowler is a town in St. Lawrence County, New York, United States. The population was 2,202 at the 2010 census.

The Town of Fowler is located on the southwest border of the county and is southwest of Canton and southeast of Gouverneur.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Fowler began in 1816, when it was formed from parts of the towns of Rossie and Russell. It was named for Theodosius Fowler (1753–1841), a captain in the American Revolution and a local landowner. In 1827 part of Fowler was transferred to the Town of Edwards. Fowler lost more area to Pitcairn, New York in 1836. By 1870 the population of Fowler was 1,785.

In 1987 the Hollow Dam on the West Branch of the Oswegatchie River was constructed. It generates 900 kilowatts of power.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Fowler, New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.