Fairstead is a civil parish in the Braintree District of Essex. The parish was part of the Braintree Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Fairstead had a population of 290 according to the 2011 census.
Whilst isolated in a community of farming hamlets, the parish of Fairstead has close connections with Great Leighs and is 9.8 miles (15.8km) from Chelmsford, Essex's principal town. The parish encompasses the hamlets of Fuller Street and Ranks Green (redirected here).