Exmouth is a port town, civil parish and seaside resort in East Devon, England, sited on the east bank of the mouth of the River Exe. In 2011, it had a population of 32,563 making Exmouth the 5th most populous settlement in Devon.
The area covered by Exmouth today was part of the ancient division of Devon called East Budleigh Hundred. It was an urban district from 1894 until 1974 when it was absorbed into the East Devon District.
The two ecclesiastical parishes, Littleham and Withycombe Raleigh, that make up the town of Exmouth today can be traced to pre-Saxon times. The name of the town itself derives from its location at the mouth of the River Exe estuary, which ultimately comes from an ancient Celtic word for fish.
For some centuries, commercial trade through the port was limited in part by the shallow waters on the approach to the quay, but mainly by the power of Exeter, which owned the dock and controlled all estuary traffic. The roads in and out of the area were in a poor state and only occasionally repaired by the parishes through which they ran. A more permanent dock was built in 1825, replacing a series of apparently seasonal docks first noted on maps from 1576 as "The Docke". New docks designed by Eugenius Birch were opened in 1868, and a short line connected them to the railway goods yard.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Exmouth.