Place:Elmstead, Essex, England

Watchers
NameElmstead
Alt namesAlmestedasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 101
Elmestedasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 101
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.883°N 1°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoTendring Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Tendring (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Elmstead is a village and civil parish in the Tendring district, in the English county of Essex. In 2001 the population of the civil parish of Elmstead was 1,898.

The parish was part of the Tendring Rural District from 1894 until 1974.

A nineteenth century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Elmstead from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ELMSTEAD, a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands near the Roman Stone-street, 2¾ miles SSE of Ardleigh [railway] station, and 4 E by N of Colchester; and has a post office under Colchester, and a fair on 15th May. The parish comprises 3,644 acres. Real property: £5,211. Population: 953. Houses: 215. The property is subdivided. E. Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £310. Patron: Jesus' College, Cambridge. The church is ancient; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school."

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Elmstead. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!