Place:Dodderhill, Worcestershire, England

Coordinates52.2836°N 2.1249°W
Located inWorcestershire, England
Also located inHereford and Worcester, England     (1974 - 1998)
Worcestershire, England     (1998 - )
See alsoHalfshire (hundred), Worcestershire, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
Droitwich Rural, Worcestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Wychavon District, Hereford and Worcester, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-1998
Wychavon District, Worcestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area from 1998 onward
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Dodderhill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"DODDERHILL, a village and a parish in Droitwich [registration] district, and within Droitwich parliamentary borough, Worcester. The village stands in the vicinity of the Birmingham and Worcester canal and the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, ½ a mile N of Droitwich; and had anciently an hospital, founded, in the time of Edward I., by William de Dovere. The parish includes also In-Liberties within Droitwich municipal borough, and the chapelry of Elmbridge. Post town, Droitwich. Acres: 5,450. Real property of Dodderhill-proper and Elmbridge: £11,414. Population: 2,141. Houses: 463. The property is much subdivided. Some of the inhabitants are employed in paper-mills and salt-works. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacy of Elmbridge, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £500.* Patron, Mr. Jackson. The church shows some curious features, partly Norman; was much inured during the civil war, and afterwards restored; and has a tower and monumental tablets. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £38."

Elmbridge and Dodderhill In Liberties have been redirected here, but Elmbridge shows up as quite a large parish on a map of Worcestershire of 1931-44.

From 1894 until 1974 it was a parish in the Droitwich Rural District. Since 1974 it has been part of the Wychavon District, first in the county of Hereford and Worcester, and then, since 1998, in Worcestershire again.

There is a sketchmap of the parishes of Droitwich Rural District on the rural district page.

Research Tips

  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
  • The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.