Great Elm is a village and civil parish between Mells and Frome in the Mendip district of Somerset, England. The parish includes the hamlet of Hapsford. Another hamlet known as Little Elm prior to 1846, and as Chantry after that date, is located in Whatley parish.
After the Norman Conquest the manor was held by the Giffards and later by the Hidges family and then the Stracheys. (source:Bush, Robin (1994). Somerset: The Complete Guide. Dovecote Press. p. 109.) The Stracheys owned Rock House for a period early in the 20th century.
For many years in the 18th and 19th centuries Great Elm was the site of water powered mills owned by James Fussell IV. (source: Thornes, Robin (2010). Men of iron: The Fussells of Mells. Frome Society for Local Study.)
The parish was part of the hundred of Frome. The village now falls within the non-metropolitan district of Mendip, which was formed on 1 April 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, having previously been part of Frome Rural District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Great Elm.
1822 - Somersetshire delineated by Christopher & John Greenwood
A parish in the hundred of Frome, 2½ miles W. N. W. from Frome; containing 66 inhabited houses, and 70 families, 20 of whom are employed in agriculture, and 47 in trade, manufacture, or handicraft. Some extensive iron-works have been lately established here, which has increased the population considerably. The church is a small structure, dedicated to St. Mary, and consists of a nave and chancel, with a tower containing three bells. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Frome; Rev. R. Blakeney is both patron and incumbent. Population, 1801, 331 — 1811, 368 — 1821, 449.
1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly
Elm is a small village and parish, comprising GREAT and LITTLE ELM, 118 miles from London, 3 north-west from Frome railway station, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred, union and county court district of Frome, Frome deanery, Wells archdeaconry, diocese of Bath and Wells, and province of Canterbury. The village is pleasantly situated on the edge of a woody vale, a stream running through the valley, and by its side a winding road runs to Mells; it is rich in beautiful and romantic scenery: the rocks overhung with ivy and coppice, ranging to 100 feet in height, bear evident marks of having been torn from the opposite side of the valley by some violent convulsion of nature; the projecting rocks on the one side seem to answer to the indentations on the other. The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building, in the Early English style: it was restored in 1837, at the cost of £300, and consists of chancel, nave, north transept (added during restoration), saddleback tower, and porch. The register dates from the year 1697. The living is a rectory, worth £250 yearly, with residence, in the gift of William Strachey, esq. There is a school for boys and girls, supported by voluntary subscriptions and the pence from the scholars. To the southwest of the village are the remains of a Roman encampment. There are limekilns, and abundance of limestone in the parish. Vallis Villa, the residence of Mrs. Morrish, is beautifully situated on the south-west slope of a hill overlooking a portion of the Vallis Vale. William Strachey, esq., is lord of the manor and one of the landowners. The soil is various; the subsoil clay and limestone. The land is chiefly pasture for dairy purposes. The acreage is 893; rateable value, £1,989; the population in 1871 was 347.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Elm, or Great Elm, a village 3 m. S.W. from Frome, perched on the edge of a vale of quite romantic picturesqueness (see Vallis). The church is an unpretentious little building with a saddleback tower. It bears one or two indications of high antiquity. Note (1) on S. external wall, herring-bone masonry (cp. Marston Magna), (2) Norm, doorway to tower, and E.E. arch within. The interior has been remodelled in accordance with early Victorian ideas of ecclesiastical propriety.