- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Edmundbyers is a village in County Durham, England. Its population taken at the 2011 UK census was 173. It is situated a few miles to the west of Consett, near Derwent Reservoir.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Edmundbyers from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "EDMONDBYERS, a township and a parish in Weardale [registration] district, Durham. The township lies near the river Derwent and the boundary with Northumberland, 4¼ miles WN-W of Consett [railway] station, and 9½ NNW of Wolsingham; and has a post office under Gateshead. The parish comprises 4,880 acres; and it formerly included the chapelry of Hunstonworth. Real property: £1,219. Population: 455. Houses: 103. The property is much subdivided. The surface is hilly; and the rocks are rich in lead ore. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £292. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was repaired in 1858. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists."
Edmundbyers was an ancient parish in the Chester Ward of County Durham. It was made a civil parish in the 19th century and became part of the Weardale Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Wear Valley non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
Its only subsidiary township was Hunstanworth.