Place:Edina, Knox, Missouri, United States

Watchers


NameEdina
TypeCity
Coordinates40.169°N 92.173°W
Located inKnox, Missouri, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Edina is a city in Knox County, Missouri, United States, between the North and South Forks of the South Fabius River. The population was 1,176 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Knox County.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

William Jackson Smallwood drew up the plans for Edina in 1839, situating it on high ground with an adequate water supply. Surveying was done by Stephen W. B. Carnegy, an attorney from Canton, Missouri ; “Edina” was a reference to Edinburgh in Scotland (taken from Scottish poet Robert Burns’ "Address to Edinburgh"). The town was incorporated in 1851 and had 800 residents by 1860,

During the American Civil War, no battles were fought in Edina, but both the Union and the Confederacy engaged in recruiting in the area. And the town had divided sympathies. In July 1861 Confederate militia from Lewis County entered Edina, and the Union Home Guard retreated to Macon, Missouri. The city was peacefully occupied for several days, with Confederate troops encamped in the Milltown section. After the war, conflicts continued at a low level with occasional bloodshed, as was characteristic of the area.

Edina became a center for business and transport. The town was reshaped by the 1872 arrival of builder Louis Weishar, who was responsible for the construction of St. Joseph's Church in 1874 and eight of the eleven new buildings on the west side after the fire of 1891. In 1907 his firm built the public school and parochial schools. in 1907 as well as St. Joseph's School the same year.

An electric power plant was constructed in 1890; a movie theater was established in 1908 and the streets paved in 1915; a new water works was put in place the same year.

The city suffered during the Great Depression; three of its four banks closed, and the city lake fell to dangerously low levels in the drought of the late 1930s. The local economy was lifted in part by Federal building projects, including the courthouse in 1935 and the school gymnasium in 1939.

The post-WW II years saw a small construction boom. Parking meters were installed around the square in 1952 and remained controversial until they were removed in 1973. Dial telephone service appeared in 1960.

During the 1980s Edina survived economic distress, drought and a consequent crisis in water supply, decline in population, and the loss of its railroad. The 1990s saw continuing decline, though new businesses subsequently moved into vacant buildings on the square.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Edina, Missouri. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.