|Alt names||East Hedleyhope||source: settlement in parish|
|Hedley Hope||source: spelling variant|
|Hedley-Hope||source: spelling variant|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Brancepeth, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Lanchester Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|South Cornsay, Durham, England||village providing employment for Hedleyhope residents|
|Derwentside District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hedleyhope from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HEDLEY-HOPE, a township in Brancepeth parish, Durham; on the Weardale Extension railway, 4½ miles NE of Wolsingham. Acres: 1,506. Population: 93. Houses: 15."
Hedleyhope was originally a township in the ancient parish of Brancepeth in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. It was much closer to the colliery village of South Cornsay to its west than to Brancepeth and in 1894 became part of Lanchester Rural District and transferred some of its area to South Cornsay civil parish. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Derwentside non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
Categories: Durham, England | Hedleyhope, Durham, England | Brancepeth, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Lanchester Rural, Durham, England | South Cornsay, Durham, England | Derwentside District, Durham, England