Place:East Goshen, Chester, Pennsylvania, United States

Watchers


NameEast Goshen
Alt namesEast Goshensource: WeRelate abbreviation
TypeTownship
Located inChester, Pennsylvania, United States
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

East Goshen Township is a township in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 18,026 at the 2010 census.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The ten square miles of land that is now the township of East Goshen was part of a larger tract purchased from William Penn in Wales in September 1681. Settlers, finding the land beautiful and productive, named the area Goshenville, or "the Land of Goshen."

The blacksmith shop located on North Chester Road was built in 1699. It was here in the early years that wagon wheels were rerimmed, farm implements repaired, and horses shod. As part of East Goshen's tricentennial in 1982, the blacksmith shop was renovated and restored.

East Goshen Township was incorporated in 1817 when Goshen was divided, forming East and West Goshen townships.

The Goshenville Historic District, Goodwin Acres, and Ellis Williams House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at East Goshen Township, Pennsylvania. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!