Place:Dupo, St. Clair, Illinois, United States

Watchers


NameDupo
TypeVillage
Coordinates38.516°N 90.208°W
Located inSt. Clair, Illinois, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Dupo is a village in St. Clair County, Illinois, United States. The population was 3,933 at the 2000 census. The village was settled in about 1750 and was incorporated in 1876. Its name is derived from Common Fields of Prairie du Pont.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

From St. Clair County History, (Philadelphia: Brink, McDonough, and Company, 1881):


"The village received its name from the following circumstance: The first settlement was made on the present site, which is on the south bank of the creek, and about one mile (1.6 km) south of the village of Cahokia. At this point a rude bridge, constructed of logs, was built across the stream. An open prairie extended from the bridge south to the bluff. Pont is a French word, and means bridge in English. Hence the name, Prairie du Pont, or, Prairie Bridge [actually Bridge Prairie]. It was settled about 1750, by people from Cahokia. The origin of its settlement is undoubtedly due to the inundations to which the bottom was subject during high waters. Prairie du Pont is about ten or twelve feet higher than Cahokia, and in the time of the floods, the people of the Latter village were obliged to flee to the bluffs and higher grounds for safety. Tradition, in Prairie du Pont, substantiates the above theory."
"However some will argue that the name actually came from a mispronunciation of the word Depot when the first train tracks were laid through that area. It's said that a railroad engineer (Lee Goudey) with a speech impediment said they "needed to build a dupo in this area" instead of depot. The name stuck and became an official town called Dupo."
"According to Reynolds, the village contained fourteen families in 1765. Among the early settlers was Jean François Perry, who was a native of France, and emigrated to this country in 1792. He was a classical scholar, and was a descendant of one of the first families in France."
Falling Springs "is one of the romantic spots in Illinois. It is situated at the bluff, one mile (1.6 km) south-east of Prairie du Pont village. It derives its name from a spring that gushes out of a perpendicular rock of the bluff, with a fall of sixty or seventy feet. The bluff at this point is a solid wall of limestone, about one hundred and thirty feet in height. The spring flows from an orifice situated midway between the top of the bluff and the rocky bottom beneath. Many years ago a grist mill was constructed at this point, and the water utilized for a power, but no trace of it remains at this time to be seen. Several years ago a hotel was built near the spring, and the place was made a summer resort by the people of East St. Louis and other towns." The spring and resort is now closed to the public.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Dupo, Illinois. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.