Dunwich is a village and civil parish in the English county of Suffolk. It is located in the Suffolk Coastal District around 92 miles (148 km) northeast of London, 9 miles (14 km) south of Southwold and 7 miles (11 km) north of Leiston on the North Sea coast.
In the Anglo-Saxon period, Dunwich was the capital of Kingdom of the East Angles but the harbour and most of the town have since disappeared due to coastal erosion. At its height it was an international port similar in size to 14th-century London. Its decline began in 1286 when a storm surge hit the East Anglian coast followed by the South England flood of February 1287 and by St. Lucia's flood that also occurred in 1287. It was eventually reduced in size to the village it is today with a population at the 2001 census of 804.
Dunwich parish was also reduced in size administratively in 1934 when part of the parish was transferred to Southwold Urban District while the southern part was transferred to Blyth Rural District as were many other neighbouring parishes. Both sections are now in the Suffolk Coastal District.