The village of Dunham on the Hill is mentioned in Domesday Book. It is situated above sea level, south west of Helsby Hill, and from Chester. Originally a small hamlet, it has gradually enlarged, and is now divided by the A56 main road. Council housing was built shortly after the second world war behind ‘The Wheatsheaf’ pub, many of these are now owner occupied. Other in-fill building in the village has increased the population of the parish from fewer than 300 in the early 1900s to 534 recorded in the 2001 Census.
Dunham Hill railway station was closed in 1952.
The village school closed in 2008. The 'Dunham Arms' pub reopened in 2010.