Place:Dromore, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland

Watchers


NameDromore
TypeTown
Coordinates54.517°N 7.467°W
Located inCounty Tyrone, Northern Ireland


source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Dromore (Irish: An Droim Mor (the large ridge)) is a village, townland and civil parish in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. It is situated nine miles (15 km) south west of Omagh on the A32 and sixteen miles (26 km) from Enniskillen. Its population as of 2008 is estimated to be 1,258. Agriculture and the building trades are the primary sources of employment in the town. It is situated within the Omagh District Council area.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

In 1838 Dromore, in the Parish and Barony of Omagh, was described as a poor town in hilly and bleak country which stretched far around, yet the arable lands were for the most part good. The population of the town was 480 in 1831, and 551 in 1841.

The town was originally built in 1757 when the then Lord of the manor, William Hamilton, of Aughlish House gave a grant of the townland of Mullinacross, now called Dromore, to two families - Stewart and Humphreys. The town at that time consisted of only four houses. The original name of the townland is derived from an ancient stone cross which formerly stood on the top of the hill overlooking the town, and near to where the Cistercian Abbey was located. This abbey which was destroyed by a fire in 1690 is said to have been built on the site of a nunnery founded by Saint Patrick for Saint Cettumbria, the first Irish female who received the veil from his hands. In the village, still to be seen, are the ivy-clad remains of a Protestant church built in 1694.

During the Irish Rebellion of 1798, when Lord Blayney came to Tyrone, as Dromore was principally inhabited by rebels, he set it on fire and burned some of the houses, but owing to the exertions of Captain Charles Muirhead, Lieutenant James Alexander and the Rev. Benjamin Marshall the balance of the town was saved from destruction.

In the area around Dromore are to be found a number of ancient earthen forts. At Dullaghan about four miles to the northwest is a Druid's Altar - a small roofless chamber tomb. A tannery was known to have existed in the village.

In the Dromore Parish at least nine locations of Mass Rocks are known. During the times of the Penal Laws certain "Mass Gardens" were located in the district where the local parishioners met in seclusion to celebrate Mass. It is said that Lord Belmore, who owned considerable property around Dromore, was so impressed with the devotion of the congregation at one of these gatherings, which he came across one day by chance, that he made available a piece of ground for the erection of a church. This is where the Catholic Church of Dromore now stands.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Dromore, County Tyrone. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.