- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Downton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "DOWNTON, a parish in the [registration] district of Ludlow and county of Hereford; on the river Teme, near the boundary with Salop, 5 miles SW of Bromfield [railway] station, and 5½ W by S of Ludlow. Post town: Leintwardine, Herefordshire. Acres: 1,201. Real property, with Aston and Burrington: £3,750. Population: 184. Houses: 25. Downton Castle here is a spacious modern edifice, in mixed Grecian and Gothic styles, built by R. P. Knight, Esq., to exemplify his "Analytical Enquiry;" and stands amid romantic scenery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value: £154. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1862, and is in the early English style, somewhat richly decorated."