Place:Dapto, New South Wales, Australia

Watchers


NameDapto
TypeTown
Coordinates34.5°S 150.783°E
Located inNew South Wales, Australia
Contained Places
Cemetry
Dapto West Catholic Cemetery ( 1830 - )
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The name Dapto is said to be an Aboriginal word either from Dabpeto meaning "water plenty", or from tap-toe which described the way a lame Aboriginal elder walked. The suburb was officially founded in 1834, when George Brown transferred the Ship Inn from Wollongong to Mullet Creek Farm, in an area now named in his honour as Brownsville. After an unsuccessful attempt at wheat growing in the 1850s, Dapto embraced the dairy industry. In 1887 the railway opened and a butter factory was established. This began a transformation of Dapto and the town centre shifted south to where the new station was located. The Australian Smelting Company's works were established on Kanahooka Road and employed over 500 men. A railway, operated by the Illawarra Harbour and Land Corporation Limited, connected the smelter with the Government railway at Dapto. By 1903 the Commissioner for Railways declared that Dapto was the most valuable station on the Illawarra line, its traffic being double that of Wollongong . The books "John Brown of Brownsville" (2012, "Gooseberry and Hooka" (2012) and "Lake Illawarra: an ongoing history" (2005) - all written by Joseph Davis and published by the Lake Illawarra Authority - contain lots of detail about Dapto's history.

The completely non-commercial Facebook site "Dapto History in photos" run by some Dapto Locals is probably the best introduction to Dapto's history anyone could hope for. See external link at the end of this wiki article to get access to the stacks of historical information on it.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The name Dapto is said to be an Aboriginal word either from Dabpeto meaning "water plenty", or from tap-toe which described the way a lame Aboriginal elder walked. The suburb was officially founded in 1834, when George Brown transferred the Ship Inn from Wollongong to Mullet Creek Farm, in an area now named in his honour as Brownsville. After an unsuccessful attempt at wheat growing in the 1850s, Dapto embraced the dairy industry. In 1887 the railway opened and a butter factory was established. This began a transformation of Dapto and the town centre shifted south to where the new station was located. The Australian Smelting Company's works were established on Kanahooka Road and employed over 500 men. A railway, operated by the Illawarra Harbour and Land Corporation Limited, connected the smelter with the Government railway at Dapto. By 1903 the Commissioner for Railways declared that Dapto was the most valuable station on the Illawarra line, its traffic being double that of Wollongong . The books "John Brown of Brownsville" (2012, "Gooseberry and Hooka" (2012) and "Lake Illawarra: an ongoing history" (2005) - all written by Joseph Davis and published by the Lake Illawarra Authority - contain lots of detail about Dapto's history.

The completely non-commercial Facebook site "Dapto History in photos" run by some Dapto Locals is probably the best introduction to Dapto's history anyone could hope for. See external link at the end of this wiki article to get access to the stacks of historical information on it.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Dapto, New South Wales. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.