Place:Dalwood, Devon, England

Watchers
NameDalwood
TypeParish
Coordinates50.7991°N 3.0602°W
Located inDevon, England     (1844 - )
Also located inDorset, England     ( - 1844)
See alsoAxminster Rural, Devon, Englandrural district in which the town was located 1894-1974
East Devon District, Devon, Englandcovering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Dalwood is a village and county parish in the East Devon District of the English county of Devon. Before 1974 Dalwood was in the Axminster Rural District. It is approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) away from the nearest town, Axminster, and 5 miles (8.0 km) away from Honiton. Dalwood can be accessed by the nearby A35 road. Until 1844, along with the nearby village of Stockland, the village was in a detached part of the county of Dorset.

St Peter's church is 15th century and was restored in 1881. It has some early stained glass windows. Nearby Loughwood Meeting House just north of the A35 road is an 18th-century Baptist chapel with an unaltered interior.

Registration Districts


Research Tips

  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Dalwood. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.