Dallas County is a county of the U.S. state of Alabama. Its name is in honor of United States Secretary of the Treasury Alexander J. Dallas. As of the 2010 census, its population was 43,820. The county seat is Selma.
Dallas County was created by the Alabama territorial legislature on February 9, 1818, from Montgomery County, a portion of the Creek cession of August 9, 1814. It was named for U.S. Treasury Secretary Alexander J. Dallas of Pennsylvania.
Dallas County is located in the Black Belt region of the west-central portion of the state. It is traversed by the Alabama River and bordered by Perry, Chilton, Autauga, Lowndes, Wilcox, and Marengo counties. Originally, the county seat was at Cahaba, which also served as the state capital for a brief period. In 1865, the county seat was transferred to Selma. Other towns and communities include Marion Junction, Sardis, Orrville, Valley Grande,and Minter.
Massillon, a railroad stop 14 miles west of Selma (Lat: 32° 26’ 16”N, Long: 87° 17’ 45” W), is part of the Ghost Town USA's Guide to the Ghost Towns of Alabama, hosted on RootsWeb.