Dagenham is a large suburb of east London, England. It now forms part of the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham and is located approximately 11.5 miles (18.5 km) east of Charing Cross (a basis for distance measurement from the centre of London) and around 9.5 miles (15.2 km) east of the City of London.
Historically within Essex, it was an agrarian village and parish and part of Romford Rural District from 1894. It remained mostly undeveloped until 1921 when the London County Council began building the large Becontree estate.
The population of the area significantly increased during the 20th century, with the parish of Dagenham breaking away from its rural roots and becoming an Urban District in 1926 and a Municipal Borough in 1938. It is now a predominantly residential area, with some areas of declining industrial activity, including the Ford Dagenham plant in the southern part of the borough.