Covington is a city in and the parish seat of St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 8,765 at the 2010 census. It is located at a fork of the Bogue Falaya and the Tchefuncte River.
The earliest known settlement by Europeans in the area was in 1800 by Jacques Dreux. In 1813 John Wharton Collins established a town there with the name of Wharton. He is buried on the corner of the city cemetery directly across from the Covington Police Department. The city was renamed after General Leonard Covington, a hero of the War of 1812. Commerce was brought here by boat up the Bogue Falaya, which connects through the Tchefuncte River to Lake Pontchartrain. Then, in 1888, the railroad came to town.
In the late 20th century, with the expansion of Louisiana's road system, many people who worked in New Orleans started living in Covington, commuting to work via the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. This is considered to be associated with white flight out of New Orleans, though the Jefferson Parish area saw the most expansion during this time.
Though Hurricane Katrina made landfall near Slidell, Covington was sufficiently elevated to escape the massive storm surge; however, the city suffered devastating wind damage. Following the storm, Covington, along with the rest of the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain, experienced a population boom as a result of many former inhabitants of the New Orleans area being forced to move out of their storm-ravaged homes. The town's population continues to grow.