Place:Cottesmore, Rutland, England

Watchers


NameCottesmore
TypeVillage
Located inRutland, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Cottesmore (pronounced Cotts'more as a result of its origins as Cotts Moor) is a village in the north of the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. In terms of population it is the largest village in Rutland, and the third-largest settlement after Oakham and Uppingham. This is due in part to the presence of RAF Cottesmore.

The Cottesmore Hunt takes its name from the village (although the kennels are not in the parish). Sir William Lowther brought the foxhounds he had bought from Thomas Noel to Cottesmore in 1740.

The Duke of York commanded the minesweeper HMS Cottesmore from April 1993 until November 1994 and visited the village with members of his crew.

At the time of Edward the Confessor (mid 11th century), "Manors Cottesmore" was held, together with Greetham, by Saxon called Goda. Goda held 12 carucates of land, three of which were held in tax to the Danegeld. The King held three carucates in demesne and three socmen with 40 villeins and six bordarii held 20 carucates. Of the land held by the manor, one Goisfridus held half a carucate; he had one plough and eight villeins. Cottesmore also had of meadow and a wood measuring a mile in length by seven furlongs in breadth.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Cottesmore, Rutland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.