|Alt names||Cofton-Hackett||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Corton-Hackett||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Coston-Hackett||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Coston Hackett||source: Victoria County Histories, Worcestershire, Volume 3|
|Located in||Worcestershire, England|
|Also located in||Hereford and Worcester, England (1974 - 1998)|
|Worcestershire, England (1998 - )|
|See also||Halfshire (hundred), Worcestershire, England||hundred of which the parish was a part|
|Bromsgrove Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Bromsgrove District, Hereford and Worcester, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1998|
|Bromsgrove District, Worcestershire, England||district municipality covering the area from 1998 onward|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Cofton Hackett is a village and civil parish in the Bromsgrove District of north east Worcestershire, England. It is 10.3 miles (16.5 kilometres) southwest of the city centre of Birmingham and 16 miles (25.7 kilometres) northeast of Worcester. The village has a population 1,747.
- the following text is composed of further quotes from Wikipedia
Between 1917 and the early 1960s Cofton Hackett was the location of the Austin Aero Company's aircraft factory that produced military aircraft during both World Wars and civilian aircraft during the inter-war years.
Cofton Hackett’s largest structure was the now demolished aircraft factory, known as the Longbridge ‘East Works’, that produced both aero engines and complete military aircraft during both the First World War and Second World War . To allow the aircraft to be flown out of Cofton after production, an airfield was built in 1917 and used in both world wars. It was designed with four crossing tarmac runways allowing aircraft to take off in any direction. The Cofton Hackett factory constructed over 3,000 aircraft during the war years and thousands of engines and wings for other marques of aircraft.
Cofton Hackett developed from the opening of the Austin motor works at Longbridge in 1905 and most of the shops are on the northern edge of the village that was transferred from Kings Norton to Cofton Hackett in 1911 together the extension of the City of Birmingham to the northern boundary of the village. The transfer of parts of Rednal to Cofton parish and the breakup of the Earl of Plymouth's estate released more land for development in 1919, and the extension of the Birmingham tramlines to the Rednal terminus in 1924 placed it within commuting distance from the city. With the closing of the Longbridge Motor Factory employment opportunities in the immediate area were reduced and the village is now reverting to its former rural character from before the modernisations of the 20th century.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Cofton Hackett.
From 1894 until 1974 Cofton Hackett was a parish in the Bromsgrove Rural District. Since 1974 it has been part of the Bromsgrove District, first in the county of Hereford and Worcester, and then, since 1998, in Worcestershire again.
The map of Worcestershire circa 1944 labels the civil parishes in Bromsgrove Rural District.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Cofton Hackett, Worcestershire, England | Halfshire (hundred), Worcestershire, England | Bromsgrove Rural, Worcestershire, England | Bromsgrove District, Hereford and Worcester, England | Bromsgrove District, Worcestershire, England