population_footnotes =  |population_total = 1,227 |population_density_km2 = 329.0 |population_density_sq_mi = 852.1
|timezone = Eastern (EST) |utc_offset = -5 |timezone_DST = EDT |utc_offset_DST = -4 |elevation_footnotes = |elevation_m = 190 |elevation_ft = 623 |coordinates_display = inline,title |coordinates_type = region:US_type:city |latd = 38 |latm = 29 |lats = 19 |latNS = N |longd = 81 |longm = 20 |longs = 56 |longEW = W
|postal_code_type = ZIP code |postal_code = 25045 |area_code = 304 |blank_name = FIPS code |blank_info = 54-16012 |blank1_name = GNIS feature ID |blank1_info = 1537398 |website = |footnotes = }} Clendenin is a town in Kanawha County, West Virginia along the Elk River. The population was 1,227 at the 2010 census. Clendenin was incorporated in 1904 and named for the Clendenins, an early pioneer family in the Kanawha River Valley. Charleston, WV retains the namesake of George Clendenin's father, Charles Clendenin. George Clendenin owned a large portion of present-day Charleston and settled at the confluence of the Elk and Kanawha rivers with several other families.
The first petrochemical plant in the world was built in Clendenin in 1920. This plant was the original Union Carbide Corporation facility. Other chief economic staples included (and to some extent still include) timber, coal, gas, oil, and salt.
The current mayor of Clendenin is Gary L. Bledsoe. Town elections (including the office of mayor and city council) occur every two years. Recent efforts have been made by the 25045 - A New Clendenin group (a non-profit corporation based in Clendenin) and the Business and Industrial Development Corporation (headquartered in Charleston) to enhance economic and cultural development in the town.