- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There are two other places named Claxby in Lincolnshire: Claxby by Normanby is near Market Rasen in West Lindsey District and Claxby Pluckacre is near Horncastle in East Lindsey.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Claxby St. Andrew (sometimes known as Claxby), is a village and civil parish until at least 1974, about 3 miles (5 km) north of Alford, in the East Lindsey District of Lincolnshire, England.
The parish church, which was dedicated to Saint Andrew, was built in 1846 to replace an earlier thatched structure. It was declared redundant by the Diocese of Lincoln in 1990 and sold the same year. It is a Grade II listed building.
Claxby Manor House (also known as Claxby Hall) was built around 1760, reputedly for Samuel Dashwood as the Dower House to Well Hall. It later became the vicarage, and is a Grade II listed building.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Claxby St. Andrew from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "CLAXBY, a parish in Spilsby [registration] district, Lincoln; 1½ mile W of Willoughby [railway] station, and 3 S of Alford. Post town: Alford. Acres: 590. Real property: £1,375. Population: 103. Houses: 18. Traces of a Roman camp, and tumuli crowned with trees, are here; and limestone is found. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Well, in the diocese of Lincoln."