Cicero is a town in Onondaga County, New York, USA. The population was 31,632 at the 2010 census. The name of the town was assigned by a clerk interested in the classics, honoring Cicero, a Roman statesman.
The Town of Cicero was formed in 1790 as a Township in the Military Tract, but was part of the Town of Lysander when Onondaga County was formed in 1794 and was separated from Lysander in 1807. The first settler to arrive was John Leach, who established a tavern at Cody's Corners.
In 1827 the town was split approximately in half, with the western portion of Cicero becoming the Town of Clay.