Chester, is a city in Cheshire, England. Lying on the River Dee, close to the border with Wales, it is the largest and most populous settlement of the wider unitary authority area of Cheshire West and Chester, which had a population of 328,100 according to the 2001 Census. Chester was granted city status in 1541.
Chester was founded as a "castrum" or Roman fort with the name Deva Victrix in the year 79 by the Roman Legio II Adiutrix during the reign of the Emperor Vespasian. Chester's four main roads, Eastgate, Northgate, Watergate and Bridge, follow routes laid out at this time – almost 2,000 years ago. One of the three main Roman army bases, Deva later became a major settlement in the Roman province of Britannia.
Chester was one of the last towns in England to fall to the Normans in the Norman conquest of England. William the Conqueror ordered the construction of a castle, to dominate the town and the nearby Welsh border.
Chester has a number of medieval buildings, but some of the black-and-white buildings within the city centre are actually Victorian restorations. Chester is one of the best preserved walled cities in Britain. Apart from a 100-metre (330 ft) section, the listed Grade I walls are almost complete.
The Industrial Revolution brought railways, canals, and new roads to the city, which saw substantial expansion and development – Chester Town Hall and the Grosvenor Museum are examples of Victorian architecture from this period.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Chester. under the section "History"
History of Governance
Chester became a municipal borough in 1835 and a county borough in 1888. It included the following originally ecclesiastical parishes:
All of these became civil parishes when they were established in 1866 and most were "ancient parishes" or ecclesiastical parishes before that.
In 1936 Chester was expanded to include the outlying parishes of Blacon-cum-Crabwall, Claverton, Great Boughton, Little Saughall, Marlston cum Lache, and Newton-by-Chester, all of which had formerly been part of Chester Rural District. Another expansion occurred in 1954 with the absorption of Hoole Urban District. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, the existing city and county borough of Chester merged with the Chester Rural District and Tarvin Rural District. The district council used the name Chester City Council. (Source: Wikipedia)